In our house, “quick dinner” is almost always synonymous with pasta. One of my favorite and easy dishes to whip up is pesto and whatever type of pasta we have available. Here’s my recipe for a simple, yet extremely tasty, sauce:
- About a cup of of fresh basil leaves
- About a cup of grated parmesan cheese
- About a half-cup of walnuts, pine nuts or pecans (I prefer walnuts)
- About 1/8-cup of olive oil, and a little more to add as you go
- One roasted red pepper from the jar -OR- a couple sun-dried tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
Simply throw all the ingredients listed above into a food processor and mix until it reaches your desired consistency. You may need to add a little extra olive oil as you go. If you don’t have the exact amounts of the items listed above, feel free to improvise. You can simply toss in the ingredients as you like and keep tasting until you like it!
Once the sauce is done, either store it in a plastic/glass container or serve it over your favorite pasta. My favorite is tri-colored rotini! Oh, and don’t forget to have fun!